Thursday, March 13, 2008

Music That Matters

I’m pretty strange when it comes to music. I consider myself pretty open-minded musically, but when I find a song I really like, I lock onto it like a….really tight, sticky, lockey thing. As in, I will put the song on repeat in my car and it will sit there…for months. Some songs, I’ve had in the rotation for years. Seriously. So I thought I’d post (in no particular order) my top 10 life changing songs. When I say life changing I mean it. These songs have had such a profound effect on me that they have helped shape me as a person. I still listen to all of them monthly, if not weekly.

So for your listening and viewing pleasure, I found all of them for you on Youtube. Enoy! Most are the official music video (where applicable). Others have an original video, but the song is correct.

1. Are We Here? (Industry Standard Mix) – Orbital

2. Regret – New Order

3. Thunder in Your Heart – John Farnham (Skip to 3:35 for correct song - This song is from the movie Rad)

4. Children – Robert Miles

5. Boyz in the Hood – Eazy E

6. Eternity: Memory of Lightwaves – Takahito Eguchi (This is the prelude/intro to Final Fantasy X-2)

7. Rippin’ – Sir Mix-a-Lot

8. Loops of Fury - The Chemical Brothers

9. Message in a Bottle – The Police

10. Radical Dreamers - Yasunori Mitsuda (This is the ending theme from Chrono Cross)

Honorable Mention: Their Law - Prodigy

1 comment:

Adam said...

I don't know about life-changing, but the song that I've listened to more than any other is "Crush" by Anthrax. (Compression mangles the audio, especially the bass drums, in the YouTube video.)

Hearing the low-quality audio sample of this song on now defunct music label Ignition Records' Web site during the summer of 1998 floored me. I had never heard a song like "Crush" before, and I have not heard anything quite like it since.

Sot tight, yet so thrashy.